- My Journey Here
- Using The Power Of Positive Thinking In Your Life
- The Power Of Positive Thinking In Your Life
- Self Improvement Ideas From Psychology
- Self Improvement Resources
- Cognitive Reframing
- Defense Mechanisms
- Selective Perception
- The Theory Of Self Efficacy
- Self Criticism
- Neuro Linguistic Programming
- Psychology And Self Development – Two Worlds Merging?
- Stress And The Power Of The Mind
- What Does It Take To Make More Money?
- Perceptions And Belief
- Your Personal Development Plan
- How Can You Stay Positive Over Time?
- Great Quotes To Inspire
- Affirmations Work!
- Related Positive Thinking Articles
When it comes to positive thinking and its power, there are the skeptics and there are the hard core believers. The skeptics tend to think life is predetermined. You’re here in this strange place Planet Earth to live out a certain predetermined destiny. Accept your lot in life; suck it up and cope! Then there are the believers. Those folks who think that life is a mirror of the mind. And if you truly believe the world can be a wonderful place, you will find the power to make it that way.
So…why exactly am I here making a case for positive thinking? Well, I am one of those hard core believer types!
Experience has convinced me that making a conscious effort to think positively has a big impact on how life plays out. And writing and talking about the mind helps me remain conscious of the fact that my life is in my hands. It’s not some predetermined melodrama that I’m living out, but a story that I script everyday.
My Journey Here
I’ve always been a contemplative type. But it wasn’t until I went through a really intense crisis in my early 30’s, months of more anxiety and depression than I’d ever known, that I had to get serious about what I think and how I live.
During this period, I made myself become more than just familiar with the principles of positive thinking. It was challenging. I didn’t want to be anything other than authentic which is never easy when you’re trying to break up with parts of yourself that aren’t working anymore. It forced a whole new level of awareness to come about. Anyway, I persisted, day in and day out. Change wasn’t immediate, but I kept trying. I became devoted to taking care of myself and my thoughts. Slowly things started to shift. I can now say I have firsthand experience of the power that comes from taking control of your thinking and your life.
Disclaimer: I am not claiming to be perfect. I still battle. I still find myself seduced at times by negative minds and have to find the strength to pull myself away from them. The way I feel is that everyday is filled with choices anew to consciously create my life. So everyday I either show up and choose positivity or I get slammed by those old mind-tapes that insist on bringing me down!
Using The Power Of Positive Thinking In Your Life
Many of the things I realized during my early 30s have become the principles that underlie what I write about here. They include the following ideas:
1. Changing my life circumstances and events is only possible if I am willing to make real and sustained changes from within.
2. My mind is a machine and is programmed by repetition (habit). To change my mind, new thoughts and behaviors need to be introduced and repeated.
3. My body is a manifestation of my mind. What my mind feels, my body expresses and vice versa. To discipline my mind also requires disciplining my body.
4. To live a full and rewarding life requires that I live in pursuit of my deeper purpose. Only I can know my true purpose. This isn’t knowledge that anyone can possibly have of me but myself.
5. The biggest blessings in life are those which cause me to reconsider my mind. These often present as crises but are rarely so as they typically unfold into opportunities for surrender and awakening.
The Power Of Positive Thinking In Your Life
I used to think often of that famous quote by Marcel Proust, “the real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.” I’d find myself pondering this over and over, hoping and praying I would one day discover for myself the truth of this statement.
Experience has shown me that you really can travel to new worlds if you’re willing to put in the effort. But discipline is truly the path to freedom here. Unless you’re willing to incorporate rituals into your daily life, you’re not really going to see many positive changes. If you are willing to expend some effort, positive thinking can change your life.
Self Improvement Ideas From Psychology
Self Improvement Resources
It seems that an increasing array of self improvement ideas have roots in psychology. This is probably because more and more self help gurus (including Dr. Wayne W Dyer and Jack Canfield from The Secret) have backgrounds as counselors and therapists.
And psychology’s influence on self help is only likely to increase thanks to former president of the American Psychological Association, Martin Seligman. At the turn of the century he formalized a new branch of study called Positive Psychology; an inquiry into what creates happiness and fulfillment in mankind.
Following are some psychological self improvement ideas that I’ve discovered via the self help arena. Try them out. I have found all of these useful.
Of all the self improvement ideas I share on this site, cognitive reframing is by far my favorite. It’s easy to practice and is a powerful way to challenge long-held beliefs, even the kind that we stubbornly hold onto at all costs. By learning how to reframe the stories we tell ourselves we can shift our perception of the world as a limited, fixed place to a universe of endless possibility and potential.
We all have inbuilt defense mechanisms that help us distort reality in such a way that it makes it easier for us to cope with existence. But if a person’s defense mechanisms go unchecked, they can wreak havoc in their life. Read about the most common types of defense mechanisms and see if you can identify how you use them — and possibly overuse some — in your life.
Many self help gurus talk about the importance of focus. Selective perception explains why conscious focus is so important. There is simply too much stimulus in our environments for our conscious mind to process. Because of this, selective perception filters certain stimulus out of our awareness. What makes it into our awareness depends on our beliefs and values.
The Theory Of Self Efficacy
Self-efficacy is a psychological concept about the power of personal beliefs. Developed by Canadian psychologist, Albert Bandura, the theory states that people with high levels of self-efficacy have a greater chance of success in any given task. That’s irregardless of talent and skills! Find out here if you have high self-efficacy and what a low self-esteem or lack of belief in yourself is costing you.
Being truthful about your strengths and weakness is important. But too much focus on your negative traits can slowly wear you down. A critical predictor of success is deciding where you put your emphasis. If you focus on improving your weaknesses you will at best reach mediocrity. If you focus on honing your strengths, your potential for success is virtually unlimited!
Neuro Linguistic Programming
NLP, or Neuro-Linguistic Programming, is a model for self development that was created in the 1970’s at the University of California. Anthony Robbins has since become an avocate of the approach and much of his earlier work drew on NLP techniques. At its core, NLP provides a framework for an individual to model the behaviors and mindsets of successful people in order to replicate them in themselves.
Psychology And Self Development – Two Worlds Merging?
More and more, self improvement ideas are coming from the field of psychology. Today, a number of influential speakers have psychology backgrounds
Stress And The Power Of The Mind
What is the definition of stress? What is the current leading advice on how to deal with stress? Plus my favorite top 10 tips for stress management
What Does It Take To Make More Money?
Who doesn’t want to know how to manifest money? Its presence eludes most of us. Get ready… I’m about to give you a total money makeover!
Perceptions And Belief
What is perception versus reality? How does changing core beliefs impact perception? What are dysfunctional beliefs?
Your Personal Development Plan
A personal development plan is the easiest way to accelerate your success. Your plan starts with your specific purpose statement which details your path to achieving success
How Can You Stay Positive Over Time?
Here are some useful positive attitude tips. The benefits of a positive attitude extend beyond just feeling better in this moment. You’ll also attract more opportunities in life
Great Quotes To Inspire
Reading good quotes for positive thinking and famous quotes and sayings makes it easy for you to stimulate good thoughts at any time, no matter what’s going on around you
This list of affirmations will help you are utilize the power of positive thinking in your life. Positive affirmations impact the images imprinting in your subconscious
Related Positive Thinking Articles
- The Master Guide to Manifesting WealthToday I want to talk about the steps that you need to take in order to create wealth. I want to talk about the small steps that will eventually lead to the “big” results.
- Self Efficacy And The Power Of BeliefsSelf-efficacy is a psychological theory that recognizes the power a person’s subjective beliefs and thoughts have over their life events and their ultimate destiny.
- Does The Secret Work?Do You Believe In The Cosmic Law Of Attraction? Does The Secret work? After watching Rhonda Byrne’s The Secret documentary, millions of people were left wondering if positive visualization and the power of positive thinking are alone enough to manifest destiny and desires. The answer is no… Below you can find out what else you
- Learning To Love Yourself First“Learning to love yourself first” sounds like a cliche. Often though, if you can really look at cliches there’s a kernel of wisdom to be devoured. And it’s very much the case with this one! Learning to love yourself first is critical for gaining self confidence and attracting success.
- Developing A Positive AttitudeDeveloping a positive attitude is closely linked with developing self awareness. It requires self motivation skills and the ability to analyze your behavior and your emotions.
- The Purpose Filled LifeA purpose filled life is the only easy and fun way to attract abundant wealth and prosperity. Any other way promises to exhaust you, bore you, and prematurely age you along the way.
- The Prosperity Mind SetHow To Think To Increase Your Wealth One of the most important steps to developing the prosperity mind set is learning to think about money in a more profound way. Here are three illuminating ideas about money that have the power to help you generate the prosperity mind set; the secret to wealth and abundance.
- Build Your Pathway To ProsperitySecrets Of Abundance And Prosperity Planning a pathway to prosperity is necessary for those of us wanting more money. Financial freedom will never just land in our laps. Building your pathway to prosperity starts with building awareness of your relationship with money. This forms the foundation of the prosperity mind set, the secret of the
- Ego Defense MechanismsA Brief Look At Psychological Defense Mechanisms Ego defense mechanisms are tools used by the ego to avoid states of anxiety. While psychological defense mechanisms can have a beneficial function, they can also hold you back from making a consciousness shift and becoming the person you aspire to be. The Structure Of The Personality Freud’s
- Learn Neuro-Linguistic ProgrammingIt’s worth your time to learn Neuro-Linguistic Programming, or at least some of its philosophies and theories. Here I’m going to explain Neuro-Linguistic Programming plus give you some NLP exercises so you can give it a try.
- Positive Thinking QuotesThese positive thinking quotes from our past leaders and luminaries, contain all the inspiration you need to stay positive.
- Is Laughter The Best Medicine?A Q&A; Discussing The Positive Effects Of Laughter Is laughter the best medicine? Come on, really? The idea that there are positive effects of laughter dates back centuries. In the Bible, we learn from Proverbs 12:22 that “A cheerful heart is good medicine” and Mark Twain is quoted as saying “Against the assault of laughter
- Top 10 Ways To Reduce StressThe following top 10 ways to reduce stress are my favorite tips for getting back in control. Some of these could even qualify as fun ways to reduce stress! These are the stress reduction techniques recommended by the leaders in health and wellness. Getting into the habit of practicing these principles will really change your life.
- Stress Quotes And Sayings To Live ByFamous Quotes And Sayings Stress quotes are a great way to gain perspective and find a seed of optimism in times of stress. Remember, all of our experiences are created in our minds. Nothing outside of us can cause stress unless we let it. “Unnatural work produces too much stress” Bhagavad Gita “The greatest weapon
- The Definition Of FaithThe definition of faith, according to the Merriam Webster dictionary, is “A firm belief in something for which there is no proof.” Faith is complete trust. It is belief that a dream or goal you aspire to can be fulfilled, regardless of what current circumstances or events suggest is possible.
- How To Manifest AnythingIf you want to know how to manifest anything, be prepared to reconsider everything. All of your dysfunctional beliefs need to be challenged. This process requires facing your fears head on. Overcoming fear is the key as right now your fears are like blocks for you.
- What Can Having An Attitude Of Gratitude Do For Your Life?There’s one thing I know for sure: having an attitude of gratitude is the most important mind training you can undertake if you want to attract abundance and prosperity into your life. This is the advice of nearly everyone who’s got anything worthwhile to say on the subject.
- What Are The Effects Of Stress On The Body?The effects of stress on the body have been connected to many health conditions, like depression, diabetes, hair loss, heart disease, hyperthyroidism, obesity, high blood pressure, anxiety, sexual dysfunction, infertility, autoimmune diseases, ulcers and even cancer. Some research suggests that chronic stress is responsible for as many as 60-90% of all illnesses.
- Cognitive ReframingCognitive reframing, also known as NLP reframing, is one of my favorite psychological techniques for changing core beliefs and controlling foolish thoughts. You are practicing cognitive reframing when you take a situation or particular circumstance and change the meaning you’ve assigned to it.
- Positive Thinking Activitieshese positive thinking activities are a great way to prove to yourself the power of your thoughts. You will quickly see that these exercises complement each other. The more of them you do, the more positive you can expect to be.
- Best Treatments For StressThere are many natural treatments for stress ranging from special herbs for anxiety and stress to aromatherapy for stress reduction. The most beneficial treatments I have found involve a combination of therapies.
- Are The Causes Of Stress Really Things Outside Ourselves?What Mental Stress Can Do To Your Life Most people are unable to correctly identify the causes of stress. This is despite the fact that many of us voraciously read personal development books and self help for stress management. Most people think it’s work, family pressures, money problems, that cause them anxiety and stress. In
- The Main Cause Of StressThe main cause of stress among Americans today is economic anxiety. This is according to the American Psychological Association’s (APA) 2008 study. Each year, the APA commissions a countrywide survey to monitor the state of stress and its impact on the nation.
- Know Your Stress Signs And SymptomsKnowing your stress signs and symptoms is important. If you don’t know how stress manifests in your life, its presence will remain outside your conscious awareness. Knowing your physical signs of stress and emotional signs of stress allows you to intervene when you’re experiencing a stressful response. And intervention is the key to protecting yourself from the long-term damage of stress.
- The Philosophy Of HappinessWhat Causes Happiness? The philosophy of happiness is a subject we should all be made to study in school. Why? Because Americans’ happiness levels have declined. According to the National Opinion Research Center, 35% of Americans were “very happy” in 1957. By 1991, their happiness research suggests this figure had dropped to 31%. Over the