How Optimism And Faith Can Help You Cultivate Peaceful Emotions
The definition of faith, according to the Merriam Webster dictionary, is “A firm belief in something for which there is no proof.” Faith is complete trust. It is belief that a dream or goal you aspire to can be fulfilled, regardless of what current circumstances or events suggest is possible. You can see then how optimism and faith are closely related. When you have faith there’s all the reason in the world to be positive, because you know the thing you desire will eventually manifest. This is what makes faith the ultimate stress management and anxiety tool around.
Another Definition Of Faith: The Ability To Move Mountains
When you have faith you truly can move mountains! That’s because having faith empowers you to change the way you approach your dreams and goals. It does this in three ways:
- It empowers you to see problems as merely temporary roadblocks on your path. Problems seen in this way can no longer mean failure, because you know that no matter what, you will achieve what you’ve set out to be, do or have. Problems are then slight glitches that slow down progress. They may provide feedback on how you need to refine your approach, but that is all. They never signal that you’re out of the race. Having faith then, is also one of the best positive attitude tips around!
- It gives you the conviction to keep going, even when there’s no evidence in the physical world that you’re moving towards success. When you have faith, the influence of your mind chatter (which throws up all the reasons why you’ll fail and why you’re wasting your time) becomes less influential. Instead, you’re driven to behave and act from a deeper place, in line with the fulfillment of your desire.
- It helps you to believe. And belief is the bedrock of all experience. This is because the beliefs you hold are a self-fulfilling prophecy. If you believe you can’t do a thing, you won’t be able to do it. But if you truly believe you can do something, then you will find the resources and the stamina to make it happen. This is a psychological phenomenon that has also been proven by quantum physicists.
The Absence Of Dreams And Goals Points To A Lack Of Faith
The degree to which you hold big dreams and aspirations is in direct proportion to your degree of faith. If you have ever wished for something that you felt was beyond you and you have achieved that thing, it is faith that helped get you there. Your deeper burning desire to achieve and make the invisible real guided you to success. If you don’t hold great hopes for your future, it signals you have a lack of faith. This lack of faith is being fueled by beliefs about yourself and your world.
How To Build Faith
To build faith you can do one of two things:
- Use affirmations and visualizations to establish new beliefs. The success of this approach is in repetition and emotionalizing your dreams. Beliefs are held in the subconscious mind and are transmitted there through emotion. It’s therefore critical to develop an emotional current with your affirmations as you are saying them. This is a good sign they are becoming beliefs that will then be housed in the subconscious where they will direct your life and behavior without any conscious action on your part.
- Examine your beliefs around an area in your life to uncover what deeper beliefs are controlling your behavior here. When you uncover driving negative beliefs they lose their power. You are then free to develop new, more self-serving and positive beliefs that will help you develop better outcomes.
What To Do When You Feel Like Your Faith Is Tested
To have enormous faith in something doesn’t mean that you’ll never falter in your conviction. But when your faith is tested is exactly when you should just keep going. If you’re experiencing negative results just recall the definition of faith; the belief in something for which there is not yet evidence. View your negative results as mere “feedback” to your approach and adjust your plan accordingly. There’s no need to view yourself as a failure. As long as you maintain your focus, and keep your eye on the fulfillment of your desire, you are not a failure. You have only failed when you concede defeat.
All great leaders have stories to tell of their long and lonely paths to success. It is common to face challenges on your journey. As long as you are on the road, don’t give in. Especially when the going gets tough. What you chose to do when your faith is tested is what characterizes you as either a winner or a loser.
Tip: Carry The Definition Of Faith On A Card In Your Wallet. When you feel beaten, there’s nothing more uplifting than a supportive quote or affirmation. Why not carry the definition of faith on an index card? It’s very uplifting and convenient to carry a pinch of optimism and faith in your wallet.